Manfred Zöllmer, Member of the Bundestag
Born in Bülkau, Lower Saxony on 29 August 1950. His parents came there after fleeing as refugees from East Prussia (in his father’s case) and Pomerania (in his mother’s case). His father found work in Dortmund in 1954, and the family moved from Bülkau to Dortmund in 1955.
Education and professional career
- Obtained Abitur (school-leaving certificate giving right of entry to university) at the Max Planck Grammar School in Dortmund
- Studied economics, business and social sciences at the Ruhr University in Bochum; passed the first and second state examinations required to teach in grammar schools in 1976 and 1977 respectively
- From 1977 onwards taught at the Bergisches Kolleg in Wuppertal (secondary education for adults)
- Deputy head teacher
- Joined the Social Democratic Party of Germany in 1972. Active in the Young Socialists in Dortmund.
- Chairman of the Elberfeld-Nordstadt local branch of the SPD from 1981 to 1994.
- Member of Wuppertal city council from 1989 to 2002. From 1993 to 1999 deputy chairman of the SPD group on the council and chairman of the committee on social affairs and health, in addition to various other posts. Chairman of the SPD group from 1999 to 2002.
- Member of the executive committee of SPD subdistrict branch since 2000.
- Since October 2002 Member of the German Bundestag as the directly elected representative of constituency 103 (Wuppertal I); member of the Committee on Consumer Protection, Food and Agriculture
- Deputy spokesman for the SPD parliamentary group in the Bundestag on consumer protection, food and agriculture (focus: consumer protection) from 2002 to 2005.
- In September 2005 re-elected as the Member of the Bundestag for constituency 103 (Wuppertal I)
- From 2005 – 2009 Deputy Chairman of the Committee on Food, Agriculture and Consumer Protection
- In September 2009 re-elected as the Member of the Bundestag for constituency 103 (Wuppertal I)
- Since 2009 Member of the Finance Commitee
Positions held in the 18th German Bundestag
- Member of the Finance Committee
- Member of the Working Group on Finance of the SPD parliamentary group in the Bundestag
- Member of the SPD parliamentary group’s Working Group on the Global Economy
- Substitute member of the Committee on Economic Cooperation and Development
- Member of the Subcommittee on the United Nations, International Organizations and Globalisation
- Member of the Administrative Council of the Federal Financial Supervisory Authority